German Chocolate Cheesecake Recipe
From Taste of Home
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) packages German chocolate cake mix
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed ( or margarine)
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla ( or vanilla extract)
- 1 1/2 cups flaked coconut
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- Prepare cake batter according to package directions; set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add eggs; beat on low speed, just until combined.
- Pour half the cake batter into a greased 9×13 pan; gently pour cream cheese mixture over batter. Gently spoon remaining batter over top, spreading to edge of pan.
- Bake at 325F for 70-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour.
- FROSTING: Combine sugar, milk, butter, and egg yolks in a heavy saucepan. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until thickened.
- Remove from heat, stir in vanilla and fold in coconut and pecans. Cool until frosting reaches spreading consistency. Frost cooled cake.
- Refrigerate leftovers.